Moving into a new home is exciting but can become stressful with so many steps in the process. Laying out a schedule and determining all of the tasks that need to be completed before moving day can help you stay organized and calm. Here is a great example of a moving schedule to make your move stress-free:
Two Months Out
- Schedule any painting and repairs that need to be completed.
- Complete change of address forms.
- Reserve any moving vans or moving companies that you will need.
One Month Out
- Downsize and declutter your belongings to avoid packing items you do not need.
- Take inventory of your items so nothing is lost in the move.
- Gather your insurance policies, appliance manuals, and any other documentation that you may need in your new home.
- Begin packing! Start with items that are used less frequently and end with the items you use the most.
Two Weeks Out
- Continue packing and labeling boxes according to which rooms they belong in.
- Arrange parking for the moving truck. If you are moving into or out of somewhere that doesn’t have driveway parking for the moving truck, you may need to reserve space.
- Take care of your pets. If you are moving with animals, make sure that you have arranged a place for them to stay while you are moving.
- Confirm any reservations you have made for moving companies or other essential services.
- Pack essential items in boxes and an overnight bag with the things you will need the first night in your new home.
- Meet the moving team if you have hired one and supervise the loading of important items into the moving truck.
- Be sure to keep any valuables such as jewelry, laptops, passports, etc. with you and not in the moving truck.
- Take a final walkthrough of your old home to ensure you have not forgotten anything.
- Take inventory of items and boxes once they have been moved into your new home. If anything was damaged, be sure to take photos and file with your insurance.
- Settle in and enjoy your new home!